The International Olympic Day was celebrated on 23 June 2016. To mark the occasion, over 160 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and sports organizations across the world organized a series of events to spread Olympic values and encourage people to get involved in sports and lead more active lives.
• The 2016 Summer Olympics host-city Rio de Janeiro unveiled its athletes' village to mark the day. The Brazilian city will host the XXXI Olympiad between 5 August and 21 August 2016.
• The day is celebrated for promotion of participation of people in the sports all across the world, irrespective of athletic, gender or age ability.
• The International Olympic Day was initiated in 1948 for commemorating the commencement of modern Olympic Games on 23 June 1894 at Sorbonne in Paris.
• There are three main pillars of the International Olympic Day - discover, learn and move.
• These three pillars of the sports event are deployed by the National Olympic Committees into sports, educational and cultural activities.